Monday, April 28, 2008

28


As some of you may be aware, Friday was my birthday. While getting older is getting more cringe worthy by the year, I had a great one.

A intimate dinner at Echo, cream puffs from Beard Papa (where they are TALKING coffee), followed up by thee Old Oaks, one of the greatest drinks ever - a mixture of dark rum, brandy, and whatever else makes it delicious, at Angel Share. We took slow sips and stared out of the street side windows, observing the gaggles of NYU undergrads (who amusingly still traveled in packs) and the other too cool denizens of Soho. It was the exact way I wanted to end my week, end my birthday, and start the weekend.

Saturday found Ji and I figuring out our wedding band situation. Ji is deciding between two, and I just wish I had fingers that complimented wearing rings. Stupid pinkie knuckle. An iron chariot downtown and I was buying socks, she was buying pants. These two articles of clothing are often paired together when dressing. However, I wouldn't recommend guys wearing women's trousers unless you have been castrated or are a prominent member of an emo band...which some may argue is the same thing. Finally we looked at some invitations, mostly just to get ideas, at Kate's Paperie. We were a little unimpressed by how limited the choices are. Perhaps we're just turned off by how safe and uninspired the options tend to be.

We later met up with Dirt and the Pub Crawlers for some Unos. The birthday doesn't end, as I was serenaded by the staff and presented with a celebratory cheesecake. Later that night, I joined in consuming a fish bowl full of adult beverage for the right to claim a plastic alligator. He is actually smiling as I write this.

Sunday found me sitting in my Union meeting, waiting to meet Ji for brunch. My taste buds have decided to confuse me more these days. The other night I had curry despite not liking Indian food. Sunday I ordered an omelet. It was filled with cheddar cheese and bacon so it's not like I really tasted any of the egg though. It was a splendid meal despite getting someone's pear Bellini spilled on me. Since the rain was holding off, we spent the afternoon strolling through some of the 250 acres of nature in the middle of the city.

We saw:
- Two couples taking wedding photos
- A puppet show that features a very depressed frog
- Trees that grew flowers all over their bark
- A dog stroller
- Two guys Bo fighting on a bridge
- A birthday party by the merry-go-round
- Shy turtles
- A guy who sucked at softball
- A kung-fu rasta in plaid
- An egret named George

It was a very New York weekend. More importantly it seemed like a weekend off. It was the both of us enjoying each other's company with no stress. I think it's just as crucial a step as any: not to forget how to spend time together. Whether you make plans or just let the day take you where it may, it's what being a couple is all about. That it happened on my birthday weekend was just a bonus.

1 comment:

jilee said...

you're losing your memory in your old age... restaurant was called Aloe!