Friday, March 28, 2008

Pretty things I want

I am obsessed with the details.

Now that the big stuff is out of the way, I can focus on the fun stuff I love: invitations, decor, flowers, favors... all the little details that make an event memorable. Only problem is, all the special details I am thinking of don't work with our date and time and budget.

For example:

1.










I've always loved lanterns and lamps, and wanted to have a lot of lights hanging to cast a romantic, soft lighting effect. Problem is, our wedding will be in the morning and the room will be flooded with harsh sunlight. So there's no point in having lanterns at all.

2. Our theme is ORANGE because to us, orange means love. The color. The fruit. I want orange EVERYWHERE! So I've been looking for favors, decorations, food items, flowers, etc. etc...all in orange. I wanted orange blossoms, but nothing blooms in September, only in spring. I wanted kumquats, but they're only in season from November to April. I wanted mini orange scones but I would have to bake them myself with a pre-mixed dough. I've spent way too many hours googling wholesale distributers of orange-related items. And they all tell me that their orange products are not available when I want them. I am blue.

3. I thought orange poppies might be a good flower choice. Bright orange flowers with dark centers - they would look so sophisticated in blue vases like these (they come in blue):








But a) I cannot afford these vases ($35-$59 each, BoConcept) and b) Poppies symbolize death and sleep. Not a very good choice to celebrate a wedding.

4. I wish I could rent special linens and tableware because the standard ones are just so boring. Something like this:












I designed this at www.weparty.com, an event rental place in PA. I love the silverish greys and the modern china and stemware. It would be great to get unique table settings like these, but this is also not in our budget.

SIGH.
So far, I've come up with a lot of unrealistic ideas - I need to start being practical and get things checked off my to-do list. But it's fun to daydream...

2 comments:

H. Karl Skeletor said...

I am day dreaming right now too - I am also waiting to hear back from about four florists and the church. Doesn't anyone do ANYTHING on Fridays?

I think maybe we'll close the curtains and hang lanterns - I am getting afraid of harsh sunlight also.

Darling I love you.

Unknown said...

Will there be corn dogs and jalapeƱo poppers?!@#!@#? You know you want it...