Monday, March 3, 2008

Countdown: 202 Days

ok i'm starting to freak out just a teeny bit.
we have exactly 202 days before the wedding and the days just fly by.

Still left to do:
Buy wedding gown
pick bridesmaids dresses
Book Florist
DJ
Officiant
Orchestra (?)
Invitations/Programs
Arrange Accomodations and Travel for guests
Buy rings
Choose food and cake
Accessorize
Makeup and Hair
omg omg omg

This weekend was awesome - full of friends and food (hi bmore ladies!), but now we need to get down to business.
------------------------------------------
Went shopping for dresses at Macy's yesterday but wasn't too impressed. However, I did have the oh my gosh moment when they put a veil on me for the first time. It really doesn't hit you that you are getting married until you try on the veil. Such a strange, overwhelming, exciting, wonderful feeling!

Jenny and I also looked at bridesmaid dresses but she looks good in everything so I couldn't choose. She liked an orange strapless gown with a mesh overlay but I'm not sure what my other ladies will think.

Also went to Saks but they were booked with appointments for the next MONTH. They put me on a waiting list but I'm not holding my breath. The gowns were beautiful but cost over $4500! The lady there made me panic because she said it takes 4 to 6 months for a dress to get delivered to the store and then you still need time for alterations. That means I have to find a dress ASAP.

I'm eager to go to RK Bridal because I hear they have a huge selection. The challenge is finding time to do so. Maybe I should take a day off from work.
------------------------------------------
Matt got me thinking about Flowers, so here are some that I am considering as the main bloom, with info about it from theknot.com.

Peony: The peony is showy in its lush and full-headed structure, sweet perfume, and bright colors. Despite these traits, the flower became a symbol of bashfulness. Cultivated in Asia for more than a thousand years and developed further by the French, the peony is a cherished wedding flower.



Amaryllis: Brides desiring maximum impact may choose this impressive flower, which features two to five large, trumpet-shaped blossoms that open in succession at the top of its extra-long stalk.





Zinnia: Brides seeking a spectrum of unforgettable color and a causal garden style will appreciate this perky, daisylike flower. The zinnia symbolizes "thoughts of friends," which makes it an appropriate element in bridesmaid bouquets or reception centerpieces.



Ranunculus: Looking for a cost-effective alternative to the rose and the peony? Try the lush, multipetaled ranunculus, a relative of the buttercup. This flower was first seen by Westerners in the Far East around the thirteenth century. Available in practically every color, the ranunculus features several blossoms and a stem with fernlike foliage.


Gardenia: Surrounded by dark green, waxy leaves, the exquisite gardenia exudes a very sultry and heavy scent. It was this intoxicating fragrance that captivated an English sea captain traveling through South Africa in 1754, prompting him to bring home one of the native plants as a souvenir. But the delicate, creamy ivory petals of this expensive flower can bruise easily, so handle with care.

In addition, I've always wanted to use Orange Blossoms in my bouquet. Did you know that they were the traditional wedding flower in Victorian times? I don't think I can get them in September though.





3 comments:

H. Karl Skeletor said...

Ranunculus...best name for a flower EVER.

Unknown said...

Do you remember seeing Ranunculus at the flea market in Bmore a few years ago, when we were getting breakfast pastries to go to DC?? :o) I took pictures of them. Anyways, I miss you already, I had SO much fun. You made me cry!!! Remember if you need any help with anything, let me know. And look at those clippings again if they'll help. Luv ya!!

jilee said...

Oh I didn't know they were ranunculuses (ranunculi?)! I loved those flowers. I miss you too - come back again soon!